Saturday, September 20, 2008

Lake Bunyonyi


With the medical clinic finished and the summer teams back home our family took a week of vacation and were able to explore a new part of Uganda. We drove 4 hours down to Lake Bunyonyi which is in the south/west corner of Uganda, borders Rwanda and Congo. This is one of the only lakes in all of East Africa that is safe to swim in.

Bunyonyi means “many little birds” and there really were so many cool birds everywhere! There are 29 different islands in the lake, and we stayed on one right in the middle of the lake, it was beautiful. One of the islands is called Punishment Island. This is where they used to take the women if they got pregnant outside of wed-lock. The women would either die on the island of starvation or die drowning try to swim away. Apparently you could go out to the island in a boat and take a woman for your wife if you were to ugly or poor and you couldn’t find one of your own..

We had an incredibly relaxing and recharging break; it was a lot of fun swimming and exploring with the kids.



Itambira Island where we stayed














3 comments:

Ben S. said...

wow - these are great pics of you guys. it's great to see you relaxing and your kids are just getting so big! what sweethearts!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are all happy and healthy! Love to see everyone so relaxed enjoying each others company ! Great family ...

Erin said...

Hi there!
I love your blog.. the pictures are so great, and your kids are all beautiful!!
I especially love reading all about Kibaale because in March I'll be coming over on the team from PA! I think Danielle said that she told you about me (Erin Wiebe), so I just wanted to introduce myself :)
I am just so excited, I can't wait to finally get there, and I'm so excited to meet your family!
I'll talk to you later..
~Erin~